Grants and Bursaries
GRANTS TO PERFORMING ARTS STUDENTS
Applications will be invited for grants for 2024 after the Festival in March. The grants, for students who have a course of study already arranged, or have applied for a course beginning in September 2024, will be made at the discretion of the Grants Committee. Committee. All applicants will be notified of the result of their applications by the end of June.
THE MOLLY TOWNSON BURSARY
THE JOHN AND IRENE FOSTER CHARITABLE TRUST BURSARY
This Bursary will be awarded by the Trustees of the John and Irene Foster Charitable Trust to a student for a course of study in music or the performing arts at a recognised school or academy, or for arts related courses at a university. Bursaries may also be given for other items at the discretion of the Trustees
The Bursary will be up to £3000 payable over three years.
The student must be resident in East Sussex.
The Trustees of the Festival will recommend five of the applicants who have applied to the Festival for grants each year. Their details, as supplied to Hastings Musical Festival, will be forwarded to the Trustees of the John and Irene Foster Charitable Trust who will make their decision based on the information supplied. No further application form is required.
- Applicants must have taken part in the Hastings Musical Festival in at least three different years of the last five years.
- Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their intention to take up their subject (music, speech and drama, or dance) professionally, either as teacher or performer. No grant will be forwarded until proof of attendance at their course at a recognised dance or theatre school or academy is received.
- Applicants must be over 16 years of age.
- Grants will not be awarded for payment of equipment or class fees paid outside school whilst a student is still studying at sixth form school or college.
- All applicants must be willing for details of the awards to be published on the Festival website and for their names and photographs to be used for press and publicity purposes.
- Applicants are required to send an annual update on their course and how they are developing as performers.
- Decisions regarding grants will be made by The Grants Committee and their decision is final.